Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A most unexpected night- and a rainy day...


So we strolled out to go to one of our fave restaurants last PM- an over-the-top Art Deco joint near the Sorbonne... I was already fairly hazy from an afternoon champagne binge (call me Zelda...) and when the waiter started bringing on the food (asparagus soup, pork medallions and mashed potatoes like you've never tasted before) I became dizzy and didn't want to leave, and, although I threw up my hands in ecstacy, I was quiet about it. (I think...)
Dinner conversation ping-ponged between the events of 1940 and those of May 1968... and perhaps a fair amount of movies chat to round out the evening...
Speaking of which, the flick for the evening was my pick. A 1970's Antonioni starring Jack Nicholson called "Professione, Reporter". A truly dreadful number. I slept for most of the 35 minutes we stayed watching it. I apparently ow David more than one in exchange for it.
Then homeward and stopped off at D's fave karaoke ("The New York Bar and Karaoke Parlor") joint where he sang 3 tunes. Great fun for us and the French. One guy was singing this vaguely familiar tune. I loved it and fell in love with him. When I looked up at the video screen and saw the words- they were in English! His pronunciation wasn't off, it was just that his cadence threw me for a loop... And I learned more about the french language (aside from the fact that they capitalize almost nothing. It may have something to do with equality...) They don't use the s sound at the end of words if they can help it. Like- "This song's for you" could become "theee song for you..." Ain't that adorable, Homer?
Home at midnight, and awoke to a rainy day. The view from here is so swell, though, I can't complain. Read for a while, then out to lunch (OKOKOKOK- it's off to the gym when I get home, but it's vacay in Paris, for pete's sake!!!) before I headed to the Maison Rouge with its fascinating exhibit of "Headresses around the world". 350 pieces of indigenous headgear from 3rd world countries (developing nations). I liked the one with the snakes on top, but kept thinking that bringing Project Runway contestants here for inspiration could be really cool.
Every time I come here, I get completely charged for the Jeu de Paume, the national photo gallery, which always has creative, visionary, exhibits. I've actually gotten to go in just once, because they have a nasty habit of closing and not letting anyone know it's going to happen. Today was not an exception. I stood staring at the doors, and sadly trudged to the English language bookstores across the street before returning to the apt. for a nap.
At least I did get in an exhibit yesterday at the museum of Arts and Design and animals.
More as Paris progresses.
Also check out the new web album at http://picasaweb.google.com/tapit1/NextParis?authkey=Gv1sRgCIr_itaEtub5lwE#

No comments:

Post a Comment